Friday, August 28, 2009

Be The Change.

It was probably around 4 o'clock when one of my co-workers sent me to re-organize a group of black shirts that were hanging on the east side of the shop. See I work at a pretty well known boutique in town. I applied for the job there about a month ago when I realized I needed some inspiration in my boring life. I also needed some cash. But once I started working, I quickly realized that most of the people I worked with craved small town drama. Especially the manager and the assistant manager. Nothing inspirational about that! I worked with some pretty shallow people. But I guess that's what you get when you work in an expensive clothing store.

Anyways, the task at hand was to spread around a bunch of men's black shirts on the wall (because God forbid you have two black garments displayed on the wall beside each other). As I mounted the step ladder and started picking up some of the shirts and putting them on a nearby rolling rack, I caught my eye on something. An oversized black T shirt with the dullest graphic I'd ever seen: An white outline of a pair of glasses. No flashy glasses either. Just a pair of "Harry Potter" looking lenses. What is the point of this T shirt?, I thought to myself, standing nervously on the step ladder. I swear it was the dullest thing I ever saw. It was so dull , it was actually ugly! There has to be more to this thing! I couldn't fathom why I was so devastated by the boringness of the garment. Maybe it was the 35.99 dollar price tag. In a desperate attempt to find more meaning to the shirt, I turned it around. There on the back of the shirt, in small white letter read the statement: Be the change you want to see...

Wow! Be the change you want to see. For some reason that sentence hit me hard! I stood there for a whole two seconds completely mind raped! That statement completely rocked my world! It wasn't that amazing of a sentence. But Jesus Christ! What a true and powerful thing to say! Right smack-dab on the back of the most pointless looking T shirt! It totally made me stop and think about how important it is to be the full embodiment of the hope and positivity you would like to see in others and in society. At that moment, I felt so liberated! It actually almost brought tears to my eyes! I just had a epiphany in a clothing store! Later on, when I explained to the assistant manager what I had just experienced, she told me that the quote was actually from John Lennon. Which made sense because the glasses on the front of the shirt did look like his glasses, and it seemed like something the genius would say.

What a crazy thing to experience though! That sentence has definately changed the way I act and think. I never dreamed of something like that happening in my workplace. Finally, I had found the inspiration I was looking for! I guess it just goes to show how nothing is as it seems. And that sometimes you need to turn the T shirt around to get the full meaning of it. Oh and also: Being a hypocrite won't help the world be a better place.
Just think about that! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment