Saturday, April 9, 2011

Fairest

There are those
who find solace
in a twisted oak,
who can love
the maggot in a pear.
But I adore
the plum that has no worm,
the song that comes out pure,
the shine of a polished stone,
the chick with the deepest down.
There are those who love the rain.
Not I.
I love the cloudless sky.

There are those
who long to ease
a sick dame's steps,
who ache to trim
an old man's beard.
But I yearn
for a golden feather,
for the greenest leaf,
the scent of a sleeping child,
the circle of a perfect peach.
Some love the rain.
Not I.
I love the cloudless sky.

When you think of me,
remember how I yearned,
remember how I ached.
Know how I longed
to be
a bright blue sky.

 - Gail Carson Levine

This is the first real poem I read by myself and this is what made me realized I loved poetry. I read this poem, or rather song, in Levine's novel called "Fairest" in grade 6 or 7. The book itself was incredibly mediocre and kinda stupid but this poem really captivated me. In the book, the girl who writes this song is writing about how she wants so badly to be beautiful. I think I related to this poem alot at the time, but when I read it now I relate to it in a different way. But I every time I read it it still captivates me the way it did the first time I read it, and it will always mean so so much to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment