Thursday, December 16, 2010

This River Has Run Wild

This river has run wild
Turning and moaning,
Twisting and rushing,
Like the devil,
With the devil.
And it burns like fire,
Like liquid lies.
It is mercury.
Its water has reached your toes,
Whispering and fooling,
Fox-like and siren-like,
Cunning and cutting.
It has you in its grasp,
Caught in its undertow,
Crashing you against rocks
In a dreamy state.
Without need for air,
Without want for it.
And with its fire it has turned you cold:
Like a fish or a shark.
Ripping your eyelids,
Handing you steak-knife teeth.
So that you bite without blinking,
Rip without shedding a tear.
And as my blood fills the water,
It paints the river
With life and with sustenance
Warmth and vigour.
While I lose all of that.
My heart stops beating.
My limbs floating down the river.
The river of fire and mercury,
Of rapids from hell;
A jungle within itself.
You, a lion,
I, a gazelle,
In the burning waters.
This river has run wild.

Written by: Niloo Farahzadeh


I feel like I'm full of ideas again lately. I'm likin' it :) Not bad after 3 months of creative desertification. (That was metaphor, Genius. Minds don't literally dry up until your dead). I'm sure my punctuation sucks in this poem. I really tried. But I'm just not sure what to use and where to put it. Commas are to indicate that the sentence is continuing, periods mean the sentence is ending YADA YADA. If they distract you please ignore them. I hope you enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment